Thursday, October 29, 2009

The "Faith" Double Standard

I get this all the time- arguing for a naturalistic topic that is at odds with dogma (like evolution vs creationism), a religious person will say something along the lines of "it takes faith to believe in evolution because [insert argument here]."

Besides the fact that I have never had an experience where they were correctly using the term "faith," what annoys me is that they trot faith out as a dirty word when many of them (certainly the ones arguing with me) base their salvation on it. I suppose they think they are proving that we are just as guilty of relying on faith above reason as they are, but that still seems to be an admission by them that faith is inferior to reason.

What you are calling faith is totally different than trust in scientific research. Even if my acceptance of evolution turned out to be based on evidence that was interpreted incorrectly by thousands of scientists, it is a huge separation from the religious dogma that asks us to forsake reason and examination in favor of a blind acceptance of assertions about the origins of man.

No comments:

Post a Comment